- 1st June 2004 – All Black Belts including instructors will be re-tested on the previous grade material twice per year in June and November to determine their aligibility to attempt their next Dan Grading. (This will include all the Kihon Waza exercises and our nominated attacks and responses from kata, grappling, takedowns, restraints and knife work.) This is to maintain a high level of competency in our Black Belts and Instructors training.
- 23rd Aug 2004 – A suggestion has been made by one of our senior to look at including a condition for coloured belts in karate to attend a minimum number of kickboxing or sparring sessions. ie 7 out of 10 classes. Not Compulsory.
- 13th Sept 2004- No double grades for children or adults at grading, any extra ranks to be awarded in class the next week.
- 28th Nov 2004 – all extra tip grades done prior to gradings must be done in a class in a semi formal fashion by the Sensei or nominated representative.
- 28th Nov 2004 – all 1st and 2nd Dans are now to grade under Zen Do Kai State Grading held in November every year. (Must wear black gi or teachers uniform to attend)
- 28th Nov 2004 – all existing children black belts will not have to resit for senior black belt if they have been training in the current senior classes only.
- 28th Nov 2004 – children can grade for 1st Dan and above as of 2005. (no termination ) Everything else is the same.
- 28th Nov 2004 – current junior blacks at age 16 years are able to attemp a senior black belt grading at no cost.
- 28th Nov 2004 – no mixed belt training same belt training partners will be in place as of 2004. ie blacks with black etc.
- 28th Nov 2004 – as of start 2005 the two person drills for the exercises will be included into class and at the advanced classes.
- 28th Nov 2004 – ring craft will be included into the fight training classes. (This means padwork drills, in-close drills, footwork drills, reading and reacting drills, corner and off the rope strategies, thought no thought mind set.)
- 28th Nov 2004 – at black belt students will be awarded the right and privilege to wear a black gi from that point onwards in class and at gradings. (black gis are to be worn at all Zen Do Kai gradings and training days.)
- 28th Nov 2004 – 10,15,20,25, 30+ year recognition awards will now be awarded to those who have shown loyalty and dedicated over those years to All Stars. This award is also available through Zen Do Kai as well, so dont miss out on the recognition award from either.
- 28th Nov 2004 – Hakamas must be worn at all state gradings browns and above and all weapons training.
- 28th Nov 2004 – at black belt level (full shodan only) you are now to be addressed as senpai by the students, if you are a sensei in karate you are to be addressed as sensei in and out of the club. Amended 13th Jan 2005, 5th Dec.
- 28th Nov 2004 – all new black singlets are to write an essay also for grading on their thoughts at this point in time.Latest Policy Changes 2005 (Shall Follow)
- 4th Jan 2005 – all belts to be put on only in the dojo not worn to class or home from class, same with kickboxing singlets.
- 4th Jan 2005 – full 3rd degrees are the only ones to approve termination principles for 1st Dan.
- 10th Jan 2005- bars in kickboxing are to go on the LHS chest.
- 13th Jan 2005-all new blacks are to receive their new black belt at gradings from Renshi Rod personally.
- 13th Jan 2005 – all black singlet kickboxing instructors are now to be addressed as Kru which means( teacher, trainer, instructor).
- 13th Jan 2005 – if in class or at any grading an incident occurs, the person uninjured must turn away from the incident and sit in seiza until the injured person has recovered or until told to do so by the senpai or higher.
- 13th Jan 2005 – open hand palming, jamming or pushing away gently is allowed during sparring exercises.
- 27th Jan 2005- all students training outside of bentleigh dojo, wishing to train at other All Stars clubs must pay a seperate fee.
- 7th Feb 2005 Meeting – all instructors are to demonstrate on instructors only in class.
- 7th Feb 2005- No demonstration during gradings by caller after blue belt and onwards unless absolutely necessary.
- 9th Feb 2005- If student wish to cross train or train casually anywhere else they must first run it pass Sensei before training anywhere else.
- 14th Feb 2005- kids classes will not run for a two week period over christmas and for the two week over all other school holiday periods. We do however run in the second week of the school holidays a kids 4 day intensive.
- 20th May 2005 – No children are to grade other children, they can however overlook as a senior grades. No grader is to grade anyone to his or her own rank. Must be a full rank or higher to grade.
- 20th May 2005 – No student is allowed to take off shirt in class.
- 21st May 2005 – Any student or instructor found breaking the Code of Conduct or Code of Ethics will be asked to leave and or expelled from the school. Eg, This means talking badly about the club and or instructors, or the way we conduct the school. Showing disloyalty and disrespect will not be tollerated at All Stars by anyone.
- 21st May 2005 – Any parent or student with any concern must now put it in writing with a return contact number and address for a reply to your concerns. Thank you.
- 7th June 2005 – new grading protocols have been added to grading day procedures for all to follow that attend. See link for details.
- 5th Aug 2005 – Revised grading requirements for Peewees, Children, Adult Karate students See link for details
- 5th Aug 2005 – Revised Kickboxing Requirements for all Kickboxers, See link for details
- 5th Aug 2005 – New grading requirements for Thai Kickboxing.
- 22nd Aug 2005- No adult 1st Dan grading at All Stars from now on, they are to go to the state Zen Do Kai Grading in 2005.
- 12th Dec 2005 – All adult coloured belts are expected to stay till the end of grading day to help clean up and pack up after the grading please.
- 12th Dec 2005 – The min number for running a class in Bentleigh of evening is 6 people. So if you are booked in and cannot make it please ring so as not to inconvenience anyone. Latest Policy Changes 2006 (Shall Follow)
- 2nd Jan 2006 – New appointments within All Stars for the organisational structure of the Martial Arts. Details to follow and listed on the Martial Arts front page
- 9th Jan 2006 – All adults over 35 are not required to spar at gradings or in class, it is now optional. This is the same for 2nd Dan Gradings.
- 9th Jan 2006 – No students will be stopped from grading if they cannot do some of the requirements due to any age deterioration conditions or physical disabilities under medical advise.
- 28th Mar 2006 – No private grading anymore over the holidays, if you miss the grading you must wait for the next scheduled grading if attempting a full belt grade, if it is a tip grade that can be done in class at the next available time. (Exception may be considered but a seperate fee will apply of $70).
- 27th April 2006 – All senior Black Belts must ask for permission to run their own club, agree to encourage and ensure that the students are dressed in the appropriate standard All Stars uniform/attire whilst training. To have read and understood current policies and practices as specified by All Stars and agree to abide by them. If you are a Sensei under All Stars you are now allowed to produce your own badge, a copy of such badge is to be forwarded to head office. Ensure that any promotional material used carries the appropriate Corporate name & logo. The expectation is that the National flavour of the organisation must be promoted at all times, as it has a benefit to all concerned. The main purpose of these guidelines is to offer a degree of protection. Protection to the founder , the organisation, instructors and the students. This protection is in the form of defining what and how we will conduct our business, so that if anyone steps outside these guidelines, then they will be aware that they do so at their own discretion and personal liability. It is also agreed that the All Stars may terminate the agreement with the said instructor should it beleive that the said instructor not be complying or adhering with or to the agreed terms and expectations. In such cases the instructor shall not be eligible to any of the benefits or services of All Stars organisation, including the use of any corporate names, logo’s, or training manuals or any other intellectual property of All Stars, or access to discount rates established for insurances or equipment.
- 7th May 2006 – We are now introducing a separate black belt for junior blacks until they are promoted to nidan or turn 18yrs old, then they will be presented there adult black belt. The junior black belt will consists of a normal black belt with a white stripe through the middle of it. Amended to come inline with the BJC that all black belt children will wear there childrens black belt until they are 18 then they can changeover there belt to a adult black belt this will take affect as of 2010.
- 7th May 2006 – No child is allowed to grade to second dan until he or she turns 18 years of age.
- 7th May 2006 – When any old student returns they are not to wear their old belt until they are competent with their old material again. Until that time they must always stand at the end of the line until they are ready to wear their current rank again.
- 12th May 2006- the end of all kihon will now finish like kata.
Latest Policy Changes 2007 (Shall Follow)
- 10th Jan 2007 – it is not policy that students are required to buy their instructor the gold cross. It is optional but needs to be approved by the head instructor first. If it is bought for one it must be bought for all other sensei’s at that time.
- 25th Octover 2007 – Zen Do Kai had now brought in two new belt system into Karate and kickboxing as of this grading term 4 2007 we are required to follow the guide lines of implementing these two new belt / singlet ranks into gradings as of term 4 2007. To assist this Kihon have be reduced and the two person drills have been removed below black belt, however they are to be taught at brown and black belt classes and must be learnt.
- 25th October 2007 new brown and black belt class structure will apply which will include topics not normally covered in class, ie board breaking, pressure points, multiple attacks, knife attacking and defending, kata, two person drills, bokken training, ring training & sparring, grappling drill level 3 (chokes and strangles), Thai pad drills.
- 1st November 2007 all adult black belts will now line up at the start of class out the front with the head instructor unless directed otherwise. In kids classes the adult helpers will sit or stand to the left of the instructor on the side facing down the dojo Children black belts will line up as per usual unless directed otherwise.
- 5th December 2007, Zen Do Kai Victoria has stated that all title’s will only be awarded at the annual state grading with the appropriate rank attempted. See Policy dated 28th Nov 2004 also.Latest Policy Changes 2008 (Shall Follow)
- 28th April 2008 Gloves at Black Belt Gradings – Revised 16th June 2008 students attempting black belt must now wear 14 oz gloves for adults , 10 oz gloves for children aged 13 and above, under 13 they can wear the 6oz bag gloves for sparring. Hopefully this clears up any confusion.
- 28th April 2008 No 3rd Green Tip Rank for Children – no longer will there be blue belt 3 green tips for children, it is still there for peewees.
- 28th April 2008 Childrens Black and above Gradings – children can now grade for Black Belt at mid year and end of year for 1st Dan gradings only.
- 2nd May 2008 Blacks Teaching – It has now become a written law and policy: that every 1st degree black belts and black singlets and above are required to teach, once you receive your teaching title ie , eg , Senpai Title etc . These titles refer to teaching and as such you are bound by your code of honour and the acceptance of such title, belts and crosses to fulfil your obligation and requirements of this title for as long as you wear your belt, accept the title that goes with that belt and are training with an All Stars club. You are obligated to your organisation, club and your club instructor for the time and effort that has gone into teaching you over many years. (If you stop training for whatever reason you will still be obligated to the club and the club instructor when you return). The cycle of teaching and learning must continue. You will not be permitted to grade to 1st degree and above if you are not prepared to teach or assist in some way at a club. (conditions apply). (Your fees only go to keeping the hall open and the lights on and keeping it clean). This policy applies to every 1st degree black belt and above of All Stars, this is not designed to offend anyone but to help you understand how things should be in regards to the warriors code of bushido, this has been an unwritten law for as long as I can remember, now it is written. The browns and black of each club are the most contributing and hardest working, in theory the higher ranked you are the harder working and the more you need to contribute to your club instructor, your club, and the organisation.
- 13th May 2008 Assistant Teachers Discounts – Any brown or black belt or black Singlet that assist on the floor in a regular scheduled class time each week MAY have his or her term fees discounted, as we are trying to introduce a train the trainer policy that will develop more availabe instructors. Duties involves bowing class in and out, taking the warm up, teaching components of the class from the class plan manual, all under supervision of the head instructor on the night. (Amount to be determined by Rod based on how much you are contributing).
- 6th Nov 2008 Medical Restrictions – as a minimum requirement those students physically unable to attempt their grading ever due to health & medical reasons are required to write up an essay on their journey to that level at that point in time. This applies to Black Belts and above only.Latest Policy Changes 2009 (Shall Follow)
- 3rd March 2009 Advertising – at a local club level, all suburban club if and when advertising must advertise using approved material to be approved by head office and must include full listing of All Stars club locations. See Steeve for details.
- 26th March 2009 Private Gradings – We will now have private kickboxing gradings for students that have a very good reason why they cannot make the scheduled grading date for Kickboxing. The day for the private grading will be in the second week of the school holidays and an extra charge for a private grading on top of your grading fee will be charged cost of $45 for up to 40 min grading (Conditions Appy – only up to Brown can be done privately).
- 28th August 2009 Equipment Purchases – All equipment for clubs must be purchased through the All Stars Head office. Club instructors will be ellegible for the instructor rate on all equipment or at distributor rate if in a business partnership with All Stars or if the club is running the free uniform offer then and only then can they purchase the uniforms at the distributor rate .
- 4th Aug 2009 – Club Closures – All Stars Group and Management reserves the right to replace the instructor and or close down any club under its banner that breaches any contractual or confidentiallity agreements with prior notice of 1 month.
- 6th Aug 2009 Bushido Cross Returned – If a senior black belt leavers All Stars and breaks the bond that was spoken at the time of being awarded the bushido or ishoa cross between him/her and their instructor, then all privileges that came with it , titles and crosses, rank / belt will be relinquished and handed back upon leaving.
- 14th Sept on the ZDK adult gis only the All Stars badges are now to go on the front right hand side chest of the uniform.
- 7th Nov 2009 Meditation Package Launch – All club instructors under All Stars are to follow the new meditation package as outlined in the 7th Nov meeting, as well as any Kickboxing instructors must follow the cool down routine as stated too using PNF stretches at the end of a kickboxing class. See handout for more details or contact the office.
- 13th Nov Standard Brochure Template – we now have a standard advertising brochure template for suburban clubs to use for promoting the club.
- 13th Nov Standard Car Sign Template – we now have a standard car sign template for club instructors wishing to get a magnetic car sign for their car cost is $45 ring office for details o contact Wolfgang Vogel from Trepholyte Lables. You will need the template from me before you go there.
- 8th Dec 2009 Black Belt Gradings – all adults Black Belts and children Dan grades can only be done at the end of year senjo gradings. Children will still be able to grade mid year for black belt.
- 8th Dec 2009 Board Breaking – no board breaking is allowed unless with express permission from the head instructor and only with adults not children.Latest Policy Changes 2010 (Shall Follow)
- 11th Jan 2010 End of Year Grading Formation – All Stars will be re introducing the Wildcat Senjo annually at the end of the year, combining the karate and kickboxing gradings all in one up to black belt.
- 11th Jan 2010 Temperature – As of today for all suburban clubs if the temperature goes over 35 at the time of your class, and for all full time centres with airconditioning if the temperature goes over 40 at the time of your class we advice no class be run based on health concerns of heat exhaustion and dehydration. (If your suburban club has airconditioning then the suggested temperature will then be 40)
- 14th April 2010 Parting of Ways – I wish to advice that the Bob Jones Corporation (Inclusive of Bob Jones Martial Arts and World Kickboxing/Karate Association) and Rod Catterall of the All Stars Group have come to an agreement that Rod Catterall and the All Stars Group are no longer associated with the BJC.
- 14th April 2010 International Accreditation – All Stars would like to advice that we are now recognised & accredited internationally for all ranks, titles and instructor certification and as an association of martial arts under our own banner of the All Stars Group with IMAA and MAIA.
- 23rd April 2010 – Crosses – if we find out that you dont wear your cross anymore while you are still training with All Stars you will be asked the question why? and may be asked to return the cross. So please be aware and make sure it is replaced if lost. (It is seen as a great insult to others who wear one and the instructor to whom awarded you the cross to not wear your cross when so many people wish they could receive this prestigeous award).
- 23rd April Jan 2010- NEW BADGE SET UP – Badges for All Stars Black Belts and Singlets are as follows: All Stars badge on LHS chest for all students, Wildcat badge on RHS chest for all 1st dans students. If a Sensei of All Stars designs his own badge the order will be as follows, All Stars badge on LHS chest, Sensei Badge on the RHS chest, Wildcat badge on RHS bicep or sleeve. UPDATED 8th May. A student of that Sensei puts the All Stars patch on the LHS chest and his / her Senseis patch on the RHS bicep.
- 30th April 2010 Kanchos Future Ranking- All future grading for the head instructor Kyoshi Rod Catterall will be done by a panel of his seniors and or outside representative from the martial arts faturnity based on there decision he will be assessed for a pass or fail on the attempting rank or title. He will also be seeking affiliation from the Australasian representative of the Dai Nippon Butokukai (Japan Great Martial Virtues Association).
- 4th May 2010 all ho ranks are expected to grade 12 months after they have been promoted as a guideline.
- 5th May 2010 Martial Arts Council – for all or any martial art clubs or organisations to be affilitaed with as a council to assist with the sharing of knoweledge and advance the martial arts and help others to grow the industry as a whole but on a united front non political and not a committee based system, selections will be sought soon, with nominations welcome.
- 5th May 2010 all suburban clubs now organise their own purchase of equipment for inclass tip nad peewees belt gradings only.
- 19th May 2010 Suggested new class price increase by $1 as of term 3 2010. (Compuulsory for head office, optional for suburban clubs)
- 19th May 2010 Establishment of official Muay Thai teaching titles.
- 19th May 2010 Establishment of the All Stars Inner Circle.
- 19th May 2010 Establishment Martial Arts Council of Australia.
- 19th May 2010 New grading requiremnent up to 10th Dan in karate and kickboxing
- 19th May 2010 Establishment of the All Stars Compulsory Training Days for all adult brown & black singletsd and belts, included are also the teens black singlets 16yrs old too.
- 9th July 2010 all childern once they have achieve the rank of Shodan( 1st Dan) must train 2 x week in 1 regular karate class and 1 kickboxing class this is to help them train for the rank of second Dan or Nidan over 2 years. (Training must be consistant for min two years on the above arrangement to attempt the rank of 2nd Dan).
- 17th July 2010 Inner Circle appointments – Steeve Mackay (President), Teresa Caruso (Vice President),Marina Gvozdetsky (Secretary), Thierry Moran, Graeme Johnston, John Di Losa, Rhonda Nooroa, Steven Castle, Charles Parry, Chris Kinman, Shane Lacy, Daniel Zrajko, Sonya Willets, John Moumas, Elie Laz, Rod Catterall.
- 17th July 2010 The Purpose of The Inner Circle is to promote the health, wellbeing, and quality of life of individual members, their families, and the All Stars Martial Arts Academy in Australasia through the practice of the schools system / syllabus of Goju. It will have the function of maintaining the longevity / survival of the school and to maintain the structures and systems in place do not change and that the school underlying principles and direction is followed as per Kancho Rod’s wishes. The Inner Circle will have no power over the Council but can have an association / affiliation / networking connection.
- 17th July 2010 Our Vision: The circle is of made up of martial arts practitioners from All Stars Martial Arts Academy club instructors who are united by their passion and desire to develop and grow the way of All Stars Martial Arts.
- 17th July 2010 Successor to Kancho – Kancho Rod Catterall will appoint a successor to be head of the school. Any successor appointed by the Kancho should:be one of the most senior and experienced teachers, be an outstanding example of someone who has the budo spirit at heart, have the support of the seniors of the school and the council. If the Kancho does not appoint a successor before his position becomes vacant then a successor will be appointed by the simple majority decision of the schools inner circle. (Inner Circle consist of the All Stars clubs instructors).
- 19th July 2010 Senjo presentations, crosses, gis to be made by the club instructor and paid by the club instructor of a sensei or higher rank only otherwise paid by Kancho, all nominations must be approved by Kancho and or the inner circle if Kancho is not available.
- 22nd Oct 2010 any student under 18yrs attempting 2nd dan – will be identified at 2nd dan with 2 red stripes at the end of the belt.
- 22nd Oct any junior under the age of 18yrs old training in an adult class – must now wear a separate belt with a white stripe through the middle, to identify them as a junior under 18yrs old. When they turn 18 yrs old they can then be prsented an adult belt.
- 22nd Oct RPL any student starting with All Stars from another style or school will be recognised for prior learning (RPL) and be individually assessed at what level they will begin at with the system they choose. Any future ranking will be done at scheduled gradings with the standard grading fee applied. This will also apply with any existing All Stars karate students choosing to do kickboxing and the same goes for an existing kickboxer wanting to do karate with us also. You will be assessed at what level you are to start at. We hope that this is seen as a fare approach for all. Commences 2011
- 13th Nov 2010 Successor to Kancho – Its official that Sensei Steeve Mackay is now the successor to All Stars Martial Arts Academy his official title is Dai Daimyo Steeve.
- 13th Dec 2010 Writing on Belts for 2nd Dans – All 2nd Dan writing on belts is to contain the wording Freestyle Goju Karate Do and on the other end of the belt will be your surname. When beggining to place the belt around us prior to wrapping it around the waist, name of the student starts off on the left and the school/style on our right hand side. On completion of final knot, our name is then on the right and our school on the left. This is the finished position. It keeps with the same principle of having your home/school badge/crest on the left side of the gi and so.
- 13th Dec 2010 Saifu Kata – All students as of 2011 are to do the adult version of Saifu
- 16th Dec 2010- Badges for All Stars Blacks and 1st Dans are as follows – All Stars badge on LHS chest, Wildcat badge on RHS chest. If a Sensei of All Stars with his own group designs his own badge the order will be as follows, All Stars Badge on LHS chest, the Sensei Badge on the RHS chest, Wildcat badge on the RHS bicep sleeve. For that Sensei’s student they wear the patch on ther RHS sleeve. Updated 28th March 2013Latest Policy Changes 2011 (Shall Follow)
- 26th Jan 2011 Nov RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning) – Details are as follows, 40 Min assessment with the grading fee equivalent to the grading level applicant is seeking plus private training fee of $45. Included in fee ; grade certificate, comment sheet, belt or singlet grade level. (Conditions on grading up to black, you must be currently training in class and be prepared to teach and or open a club under All Stars)1st Option Requirements. within 12 months of applying (grading fee applies), graded privately. (private trainng fee applies), can be graded to black or above, must have proof of previous system & or grade level attained, train in gi with no belt & no grade singlet in class until graded, verbal questioning and explanations, demonstrate all required material up to level required. 2nd Option Requirements. (no private fee required as you grade at end of term in scheduled grading day) within 3 month to level , graded at the end of term scheduled grading date & time (grading fee applies), must have proof of previous system & or grade level attained,train in gi with no belt & no grade singlet until graded.
- 26th Jan 2011 Nov End of Year Ceremonial Bow Out Positions – Confirmation of your position on the floor at the Ceremonial Bow Out will be compulsory to secure your place on the floor, failure to do this means automatic loss of your position on the floor. The requirements to hold your place on the floor is the minimum attendance at the state training days, which includes the practise bow out in November and attendance at our gradings throughout the year. (Being acknowledged as a students of All Stars Martial Arts Academy is an honour and should not be taken lightly the committment, dedication and loyalty to the school).
- 28th Jan 2011 – Definiton of participant/student/disciple – Particpant ; one who trains here and there casually never fully committing to a school, Student ; one who is fully committed to only training with the one school of martial arts, disciple ; one who is committing for life to the one teacher and school of martial arts in and out of the dojo. Which one are you ????
- 2nd Feb 2011 Weapons – Weapons Kata’s are not to be taught in general class time, only on state training days, suggestion is that club instructors focus on the basic’s, and on drills that support the development and learning of kata later on.
- 22nd Feb 2011 – PRICE INCREASE all fees for camps, term fees, holiday programs, casual fees will have a price increase as of the start of term 2 by $1.00 approx. Due to rising cost in hiring venues and the administration costs, we have had to now include a joining fee for all new members. This is a once off fee of $45 per student. Discounts only apply on term fees for families.
- 22ND Feb 2011 FREE UNIFORM – Will only be given out at the start of term up to the end of week 3 or on specific promotions, (conditions apply).
- 4th April 2011 Responsibilities & Behaviour – Directive- To ensure we maintain and uphold the great reputation and integrity of the All-Stars Martial Arts System I am obligated to provide you all with the following directive: ‘Any unacceptable behavior set out in the All-Stars Martial Arts Systems guidelines by any individuals inside or outside of the dojo will not be tolerated!’This is something that we all need to be concerned with as a single incident can destroy your credibility, your reputation and the reputation of All-Stars. Remember you are representing All Stars all day everyday as Teachers/Instructors of All-Stars in everything you do in and out of the dojo. If you cannot accept the responsibility that goes with being a black belt / singlet or teacher/instructor then you may need to consider relinquishing your rank and title before it’s stripped from you. As Black Belts/Singlet’s – Teachers/Instructors, you have both a legal and ethical obligation to maintain the highest standards and ethics in and out of the dojo. You need to be setting a moral and ethical example that others would be proud to follow. Failure to follow the All-Stars Martial Arts Systems guidelines for ethical and moral behavior may result in you being stripped of your rank/title or expulsion from All-Stars martial Arts Systems. It is the individual’s responsibility to adhere to these guidelines.
- 20th April 2011- Max number of training sessions – There is a restriction on how many time a student can train at head office 4 times a week with the spread of 2 karate & 2 kickboxing or 3 and 1. at no time can a student do double back to back kickboxing classes. Effective immediately.
- 11th May 2011 – State Training Days – All children and adults attempting bar or tip grades need to attend the minimum number of training days each term to be elligible to grade in class or on the weekend or hoiliday program to grade. (Adults/ Teens browen & black belts & singlets 3 out of 4 State Training Days) or (Children brown belts 8 out of 10 monthly advanced sesssions). If you miss a session as a child then you have to wait another term, and if you are an adult that misses the state training day then you have to organise in your own time a private session at a cost with the co ordinator of your group.
- 16th May Writing on Belts for 2nd Dans Updated – All 2nd Dan writing on belts is to contain the wording Freestyle Goju Karate Do and on the other end of the belt will be your surname. When beggining to place the belt around us prior to wrapping it around the waist, name of the student starts off on the left and the school/style on our right hand side. On completion of final knot, our name is then on the right and our school on the left. This is the finished position. It keeps with the same principle of having your home/school badge/crest on the left side of the gi and so.
- 1st July 2011- Children’s Black Belt Policy any junior black belt under the age of 10yrs is required to remain in their regular class until the age 10 years old. The exception to this, would be based on the observation and suggestion of the class teacher, should they agree that this new black belt is deemed suitable for a faster paced, more intense class.
- 9th Dec 2011 – New Instructor / Senpai Patches is awarded to a student that has been assisting in class consistently for at least 12 months as has the intention to continue to assist in class. THe patch is to go on the right hand side bicep of a karate Gi or right hand side chest of a kickboxing singlet. Updated 14th April 2014Latest Policy Changes 2012 (Shall Follow)
- Any student wishing to recieve a patch of the Sensei they train under needs to approach that Sensei personally. The student must also understand that elegibility to where a sensei patch must meet a standard minimum criteria/requirement. Criteria and Requirements must meet as follows.
1. The Student must acknowledge first and foremost,that the privelige to wear a sensei patch is at the discretion of the Sensei themself.
2. The student must be an individual that has trained under that Sensei for more than 80% of their Marial Arts career.
3. The student cannot be someone who has an already existing Sensei Patch as only one sensei patch can be worn in that students martial career.
4. The student must acknowledge that the Sensei patch can be given by the sensei or bought from the sensei for the standard patch fee.
- 2nd March – Existing Policy on Grading after Black degree/level The policy is such that the student aspiring toward a certain grade level after black must remain on their current rank level for a minimum duration of time specified by the next rank level itself.Meaning- black degree aspiring toward first degree must remain on black degree for minimum of 1 year of consisitent training.If it were first degree to 2nd degree,then the student must remain on first degree for a minimum of 2 years of consistent training.. Once this minimum requirement has been met,then the student may be given permission from the teacher to train for their next rank level.This is recognised by the officiation of awarding that student a Ho rank(probationary rank) toward that next rank level which is generally done on a public level at the end of year gradings.The student is then expected to complete their training and grade for that next full rank level with in the next 12 months. The only time a student is graded outside the senjo grade or is graded up a level is when certain considerations need to be made based on age or limited capacity to perform such grading, injuries that would mean the student could not continue training after the grading with discussions between the inner triangle on senjo and the students instructor.
16th April – Instructors Behavioural Policy – Policy is a shall follow, Code of Conduct is a should follow, Guidelines is a will follow. The Guidelines and policies put in place are there to protect both the Instructor (teacher) of All Stars Martial Arts Academy and to also protect the All Stars Martial Arts Centre itself.Failure to comply with the All-stars Academy policies & code of conduct will see the particular Instructor (teacher) of All Stars communicated with on an official level. This official communication can take place as one of the following below… -1) designated meeting at the Academy or -2) one on one with a senior, outside of normal office hours in a non intimidating environment or -3) immediately without need for appointment with one senior or more at the location of incident/occurrence itself.This will be permitted to happen a maximum of 3 times only. The official process followed is stipulated below. -1) Should an All Stars Instructor (teacher),need to be officially communicated with, verbally & or in writing, this becomes lodged on paper for Head Office record. The instructor (teacher) also receives an official letter of communication stating the above with the incident recorded on it. (Meanwhile, the academy/ or senior and the instructor (teacher) involved look for a suitable solution to the potential problem on hand. )-2)Should there be a need for a second communication, based on a new incident or a recurrence of the same one- this is also recorded and kept on file for record. (Meanwhile ,the academy/or senior and the instructor(teacher) involved look for a suitable solution to the potential problem on hand). From this, the instructor (teacher) involved in the occurrence receives official notification also.-3)On a third incident/occurrence report, a final official communication, between the All Stars Centre/Seniors and the instructor(teacher) involved in the incident/occurrence will take place in the form of verbal & written communication, notifying the Instructor(teacher) that the next incident/occurrence will see that particular instructor(teacher)being suspended for duration of time set out by head office or relieved of their status,title,club and any other privileges they had given them by All-stars with the choice to remain a part of All-stars in a way All-stars Head Office saw fit , or to be given the choice to walk their own path.
- 20th June – Original Organisational Policy that has been in place since the beginning of Zen Do Kai days re; Gis, Crosses and Black Belt / Singlet Ranking & Teaching Titles. Any student found in serious breach of club policy’s repeatedly or found to be disrespecting the club and its senior instructors of any club can and will be de-registered and required to hand back ie Black Gi, Teaching Title Gi, Cross, Black Belt / Singlet, and may be demoted back to brown belt and not welcome back to any club under the All Stars Martial Arts banner. A student cannot have 2 masters. The student will only ever have one teacher of which they call Sensei and to whom that student must be loyal too. We are not saying you cannot train elsewhere but the question needs to asked why do you need to train elsewhere ? We need to know your answer to this question first before anything else. If the student ever intends to train at another school of martial arts, this student must first bring this to the attention of their Sensei out of courtesy and the reasons why they have decided to train elsewhere. If that student wishes to no longer belong to the academy and is intending to join another academy of martial arts then they cannot retain their teaching rank/title or cross under these circumstances. Therefore, it is important to remember that to be awarded an instructors rank/title and certificate means you are bound to that school as a teacher of that school only, and should be always seen as a privilege to teach under that schools name. To be awarded the cross means you are bound to the instructor and school from whom you received it. That bond would be considered broken if you displayed disloyalty to your Sensei and /or school. To be awarded a black belt from a particular martial arts school means you have chosen to belong to that school also. Should the above mentioned policy/ procedures/protocols not be followed ,this would then be considered a breach of such policy/procedures/protocols, which would incur a consequence of such actions.
- 20th June – 6 Basic Rules a student may be disqualified temporarily or for life for any of the following :
- Committing a criminal offence
- Failing to obey an order
- Any breach of etiquette
- Entering dojo intoxicated
- Speaking back or badly to or about an instructor
- 11th Sept – Class line up Procedure.Please read the new class line up procedure update for all teachers and assistant teachers, assisting on the floor. The only person on the floor out-front during class is to be that class teacher. If an assistant is nominated to be out-front with that teacher as a official helper, then that helper/assistant will wear their official teaching gi. All other teachers inclusive of sensei’s and above will wear the standard black gi or white gi with all-stars writing on the back if they are training only. Those with teaching titles on the floor during that class will line up according to rank with the rest of the students. The only other time a teaching gi should be worn are on official State training days as a co ordinator , all grading days or when that teacher is teaching in an officially capacity. This process/procedure is to avoid any confusion in class and is the process that all-stars martial arts academy is now following .New line up procedure.
- 1st Oct – WOMA Red patches goes on the right hand sleeve elbow of gis and the Crown patch goes on the left hand sleeve or elbow , same applies to shorts for kickboxing or jackets. updated 14th April 2014
- Oct 13th – Advanced Training make up policy – All junior brown belts (under 18years) are required to attend 7 out of 8 advanced brown belt classes on a nominated Saturday over a 12 month period. If you are unable to attend any one of these you are then requirement to do a private make up sesssion with one of the staff at head office with prior arrangement subject to availability of staff. This does however need to take place before the last compulsory state training day for that particular year in question. All enquiries regarding this subject can be discussed via phone call and or email to head office, at each student’s earliest convenience. 30 minutes PT equates to 1missed 45 minute session.
- Oct 13th – Policy On Grading Whilst Under 18 Years Each student under 18 years with a degree after black, is required to return to the shodan ho rank once they reach the age of 18. This now adult student, is required to complete these new adult dan requirements without needing to pay a fee, with no time restraint. Once they have reached their current junior rank they are then required to continue inline with the adult requirement and time frames between each rank.
- 23rd Nov – 3rd Dan – as of today we will have 3 red stripes on any student that passes their 3rd dan grading Latest Policy Changes 2013 (Shall Follow)
- Weapons taught in karate in 2013 listed in order Bo, Sticks, Bo, Bokken, Bo, Nunchuku, Bo, Sai Sword, Bo Kama,
- Weapons taught in kickboxing in 2013 listed in order Sticks, Machette, Sticks, Dagger, Sticks, Tonfa, Sticks, Spear,
- 20th March Grading Policy State Training Day Coordinators Seeking to Grade Whilst Teaching on any Given State Training Day may be able to do both based on their choice of options.
Option One – Any coordinator seeking to train on a state training day in relation to their own grading that year, may choose if they wish, to give up their coordinator role for that period of 12 months. They will then, solely train whilst another senior moves into their role. This role may or may not be returned to the original coordinator based on circumstances and the need to full fill other coordinator roles if the need arises.
Option Two – If a coordinator wishes to grade in any particular 12 month period, but does not wish to be relieved of their coordinator role for a State Training day, then they may have the opportunity to be given approval to still grade. This can come about, provided, they are ….1. still teaching on State training Days, 2. constantly liaising with their grade level coordinator, 3. receive approval from that grade level coordinator to grade that year, 4. receive assessment and approval during that the last State training day session. This would happen during the time of the instructor training sessions taking place, one hour before the state training day itself.
- 20th June – Policy for Juniors Grading After Black Degree – Please note-Any Student under the age of 18 years is considered a junior rank & title until the legal adult age of 18 years, has been reached.Therefore-All Junior Black Belts/Singlets wishing to grade for 1st and 2nd degree levels, will do so, at the grading requirements set about for a student below the age of 18 years.On reaching the legal adult age of 18 years, this student WILL NOT be required to re-sit any gradings or costs to retain their grade level and title.The age of 18 years will also see the entitlement for any student to grade for a 3rd degree and above, provided they have been training consistently in the adult class from the age of 16 years old.
- 30th June Kickboxing Dan Grades – All Kick Boxers grading after Black degree will be officially awarded a probationary degree when the appropriate time between ranks has been attained. Furthermore, this official award will be recognized via presentation of a number one, white iron/transfer bar, to be placed on the singlets, right hand side of the chest. This then signifying the preparation/training for the next rank within any given 12 month period. Passed on June 30th 2013.Latest Policy Changes 2014
- 5th Feb. Policy on Instructors Sparring. AllStars Martial Arts Academy Policy on teachers and sparring has come about due to complaints raised against teachers by students, other teachers, and perceptions of on lookers alike.While AllStars prides itself on its high morale and good ethiques of all its teachers, questions are still being raised as to why teachers continue to spar against less skilled martial artist than themselves. Therefore, to save reputation of the teachers and the school itself, a policy has now been put in place. Breaking this policy may render in severe consequence if good reasoning cannot be explained as why it took place.
- NO Teacher is permitted to spar during the class that they are teaching..
- NO teacher is permitted to spar their own students..
- NO teacher is permitted to spar against any other student inclusive of their own or someone else’s whilst visiting another class or club..
- NO teacher is permitted to spar a lover rank even whilst training in a mainstream class they may be attending or training in themselves.
- All teachers are permitted to spar on designated days ONLY being and inclusive of Black Degree Only Class on Sat, State Training Days and Advanced Type Sessions Only..
- Any classes, sessions or times outside these designated sessions are not permitted for sparring by any teacher/club instructor of the all-stars martial arts academy.
- Exception the above rules is – Instructiors can only spar other black belts in their own class as long as another seniour is supervising the class this applis to adult classes only.
- No instructors are permittred to spar children or teenagers at any time.
129. 10th Feb Volunteers. Helpers in class must be rank appropriate and system appropriate, be min brown belt to assist on floor under a black belt instructor. (No white belts can assistant on floor).
130. Policy for Sparring Regarding White/Coloured Ranks
- All-stars Martial Arts Academy Policy on white belts in karate and white singlet boxers/Kickboxers is such that No White Rank students are permitted to spar at any time.
- This applies to children karate, teen karate, teen kickboxing, adult karate, adult boxing/kickboxing across the board within any all-stars venue, be it either fulltime or part time centres.
- Adults/children only white rank students inclusive of those choosing to NOT grade may only be permitted to work `against each other with supervision for (hands only) light body conditioning rounds/grappling only.
- All ranks yellow and above are permitted to spar under teacher supervision and only with those of similar rank, ability and teacher discretion. Any students cross training within the all-stars system. I.E. karate/ boxing/kickboxing system will be permitted to spar as a white rank provided they have a minimum yellow rank in at least one other all-stars grading system.
- Any student with prior training experience from another system of martial arts outside of all-stars will be required to follow the same guidelines as a white rank until they have begun the all-stars grading system and/ or have potentially been RPL based on the teachers recommendation to head Office. All RPLs are to be done by Head Office Bentleigh only.
- Any yellow rank and above Student, must have full sparring equipment……………………………………………………… I.E. …Hand mitts/gloves, shin guards, groin guards (for males) and mouth guards if they wish to spar. Head guards are optional as are chest guards for females.
- No peewee is permitted to spar at anytime
131. Line up before Class Policy – Standard Class Line Up Procedure
Class line up procedure to be adhered to as follows.
Teacher of that class to stand out front with assistant teachers / class aides or volunteers by their side.
Anyone not assisting in teaching or aiding in class at a teachers level, must line up with all other students according to rank.
This is standard policy for all ranks regardless of seniority, be it -Adults / Teens or Children’s Karate and Kickboxing classes.
132. Protocol to Follow when the Head of the School –Walks in on a Grading or a Class.
In following on with tradition of the martial way, a grading Floor Coordinator must acknowledge the Head of school if the Head of the school enters a grading or grading environment late. This is done by …..
1. Address the floor by calling out” All Grading Chantors ‘YAME!”
2. Call out ‘ Grading panel please stand”
3. Call out ‘ All turn and face the School Head.
4. Call out ‘ One bow Rei” (everyone bow)-Ous”
5. Call out ‘please be seated
From this point onwards the grading would continue as normal. The above format would apply if the Head of School were to turn up and train, participate or simply float into a class environment ,be it on time or even late. This protocol of tradition would be expected at all clubs be it suburban or a fulltime centres.
133. 14th April 2014 – Assistant instructors min rank – All Stars requires any assistamnt instructor to be a min rank of brown to assist in class. This means if you are a black belt in karate you cannot assist in kickboxing unless you have been RPL or have been graded to black.
134. 16th April 2014 – Kickboxing Patch Location
- Red Woma patch to be worn on the lower end of the shorts on the right thigh side
- Blue Crown Woma patch to be worn on the lower end of the shorts on the Left thigh side.
- Sensei’s ONLY are to wear 1st Dan patch on right side of shorts above the Red Woma patch.
- Sensei’s ONLY are to wear their OWN Sensei patch on right chest side of shirt/singlet – above the instructor patch which is located on right chest side of shirt/singlet.
- Sensei’s Only are to wear their bar levels (after black),on Left chest side of shirt/singlet until promoted to Renshi which sees no patches of any sort to be worn by this title or any other title above this one with the exception of the Kancho of the school.
135. 20th May 2014 – New Policy on Personal & Professional Boundaries & Conduct
- To All Stars Teachers & Students. After much thought and council I have decided to implement a new policy regarding professional boundaries & conduct within All Stars. This is in addition to our existing code of conduct and code of ethics.
- As we are a professional organisation our code of ethics must maintain the highest standards to protect the welfare of it’s members, parents, staff & associates. Perception is a major issue within our industry and we must be seen to be leading by example in and out of the dojo.
- All Teachers of All Stars have a duty of care under Victorian Law, as do doctors, solicitors, and educational teachers alike, to maintain their professional boundaries & conduct at all times, when in contact with any member of All Stars be it students , parents, care givers or other teachers.
- This duty of care is necessary to protect the integrity and reputation of the students, instructors and All Stars. It is also there to avoid any potential litigation being brought against a student or instructor or All Stars.
Effective Immediately 20th May 2014 –
- All Stars does not approve of teachers entering into personal relationship of the opposite sex with a student, student’s parent or care giver and or other teachers of All Stars.
- If you were found breaching the new policy on professional boundaries and conduct, a thorough investigation would occur by the All Stars Leadership Group (Triangle).
- Consequences if found in breach of the policy could result in the teacher losing his / her license, and the student or teacher being expelled from the school.
- Personal conduct of a teacher will always have an impact on the professional standing of the teacher and on All Stars as a whole.
136. 24th May 2009 Revised 2011 – New Venue Opening Terms & Conditions – Personal Training Studio / Martial Arts Club incl boxing, kickboxing, karate or Holistic Practitioner – ; All New clubs or additional night training at existing clubs must be approved by head office prior to any outside discussions and advertising. All new clubs must have all advertising material approved before going to print this means business card, brochures, car signs etc. All advertising must have reference to All Stars as a licensed venue or affiliate club and or system being taught. The only point required is that any existing or new clubs cannot operate within 5km from each other club. Only variation to this is for full time centres have a 10km radius no go zone for any club to open within that radius.
137. Existing Teaching Titles with Another School for New Students/ Teachers Moving Across to All Stars.
- All Stars Policy on keeping teaching titles from another system/ school are detailed below
- any teacher / student wishing to retain their teaching title from a different system / school will need to be assessed individually.
- criteria looked at will be years of teaching prior to crossing over into All Stars system
- letters of confirmation from another system/ school and senior instructor.
- certificates of having received the teaching title
- confirmation of where teaching took place (location)
- intention to train and teach within All Stars Martial Arts Academy and the school curriculum.
- final approvals for any titles/ ranks are the decision of the head of school only.
138. All Black Tip/ Bar Gradings are held at each states Head office run only twice a year (Mid year and end of the year). Full black belt gradings will only be run once a year at the midyear state grading at Monash University as of 2017.
- Min age to attempt black belt is now 10 years of age. Min age for 2nd Dan is now 16 years of age.
- Min age for Child 1st Dan 12 Years old
- Peewees children 4-6 years highest rank that can be achieved is Green Belt 3 Brown Tips Must be 7 years old to be a Brown Belt.
- Once a child turns 16 years old they will need to re do their previous black and or 1st Dan grading doing the adult requirements before proceeding further in rank. 50 % of the original fee is required for each additional re grade.
142. Any student unable that has been given permission to grade at end of term and who is unable to attend grading time has either ie if child – can grade on last day of school holiday program but must attend the last day of holiday program also for revision if possible. If an adult either waits till next term or grades privately but additional fee is required.